11 December 2009

Extra! Extra! RSS all about it!

Can RSS really stand for Really Simple Syndication? Sometimes one wonders...
So it's RSS time this week. Advertised as a good way of keeping up with news and interest. I have used it in the past, via a reader i downloaded, but it just seemed a little tiresome having to open another application time and time again. It's nice of Google to set up its own reader for its members, though filters are non-existent so its kind of painful when you open it up after a weeks time... Then there's Google Alerts which is more website and blog orientated. It also does RSS which can be sent as an email as the alternative to the reader.

There are certain sites that can filter feeds: FeedRinse, FilterMyRSS and FeedSifter. I've signed up to FeedRinse, where you can add a RSS URL  (i used Sydney Morning Herald national headlines), then keywords to use for the filter. After clicking on the RSS button to subscribe you can choose from a list where you want it sent. I chose Google reader. So far no results, but early days.

I couldn't figure out FilterMyRSS, so didn't like it. As for the FeedSifter, I gave it a pass, as i was ready for the next part of the adventure to look at:
* FeedMyInbox--Forward to email
* Spoken Text--Text to speech RSS
* RSS to Twitter--Send RSS feed to Twitter
* ReminderFeed--Send reminder messages to your RSS

* Spreed-- a site that will help you speed read your information
* Tabbloid--where you can publish and share feeds

I didn't go too much into most of these. I did subscribe to something with FeedMyInbox, but it didn't like some of the websites i tried at first. Yes those websites did have RSS feeds but the program didn't like it such as ALIA. The bigger sites like SMH came up but not with all of the available list that their website has. Until now i've not received any emails from the service thus it's too early to cry out in admiration or pull one's hair out.

I can see more of a use for RSS either through Google or having the feeds sent to email (especially the address i check frequently). Filters defintely useful, you don't get everything that's released only what you ask for.Will i use it? hmmmmm ...

to be continued in some distant future ...

No comments:

Post a Comment